R. Yitzchok Yaakov Ha-Levy Horowitz (1745-1815) was born in the village of Likuvah and was a direct descendant of the She’lah Ha’Kodosh. He was a disciple of the Maggid of Mezritch and later continued his studies under R. Schmelke of Nikolsburg and R. Elimelech of Lizhensk. He lived for a while in Lantzut and was thus known as the “Lantzuter”, before moving to Lublin. Following his relocation to Lublin, thousands of Chasidim flocked to him, and his influence on the Chasidic movement was enormous. Among his most prominent students were, R. Simcha Bunim of Peshisca (Yid Ha’Kodosh), R. Meir of Apta, R. David of Lelov, R. Moshe Teitelbaum of Ujhel (Yismach Moshe), R. Tzvi Elimelech of Dinov (Bnei Yisoschar), R. Naftali Tzvi of Ropchitz, R. Kalonimus Kalman Halevy Epstein (Ma’or Vashemesh) and R. Shalom Rokeach of Belz (Sar Shalom). His works which are masterpieces of Chasidic scholarship remain amongst the most important of Chasidic classics. With approbations of R. Avraham Yehoshua Heschel of Apta (Ohev Yisroel) and R. Meshulam Zalman of Lublin. The final two pages feature names of subscribers and include many prominent names amongst them; R. Avrahom Dovid of Buchatch, R. Tzvi Hirsch of Zidichoiv, R. Shimon of Yaroslov, and R. Yaakov Orenstein (Yeshuos Yaakov). There is some debate amongst bibliographers as to the precise date of publication. Stefansky and Friedberg bring the first edition as Zolkiew 1828, with the title page being predated to 1808. Vinograd brings this edition as well as an 1830 edition with the same pagination. In any event however, this is apparently the extremely scarce first edition. Stefansky 114, Merhoffer press. 4, 1-62, 1-12, 2 pages. 21.8 cm. Fair condition, extensive worming with some loss of text, professionally restored. Fine leather binding.